Tuesday, June 30, 2009

home is where...

I recently moved the rest of my belongings to my apartment. My dining set and bed arrived today as well. Here's a little tour of my furniture situation for those of you who want to see how things are shaping up here.


My dining table has a glass top, which is something I hadn't considered at all until the salesman showed it to me. I showed the guy a couple pictures of the space on my iPod. He told me he had just the set for me and he was right. Wine rack below opens up space in the kitchen. Leather chairs complement my couch well. The set may be slightly oversized for the space, but it works. Perhaps it will work better with the long side running left to right? I'll need a couple more hands to move it.


Here's my couch with a few Ikea pieces flanking it. Surely the wall behind the couch is in need of a couple art pieces. Don't worry. I've got my art situation well under control...but that's another blog.


For now, I've moved my air mattress to the bay window. I love my west-facing windows. Each night, I enter a deep slumber with lively lights pouring through the windows reminding me that somewhere else are cities that never sleep. In the morning, I am awakened by a cheerful sun reflected off a neighboring building. When overcast skies dominate, a soft light spills into my room.


This is not new. I got this setup a couple months ago. Eventually, many of these pieces will actually go into the cabinets. I still need to borrow a drill so I can mount the handles and thread cables through the back of the unit. The television will not go into a cabinet. Note the NES. Mario really is "super" on my television!


This is my new bed. Nice solid wood. Quality finish. Quilted leather headboard. I guess I'd better make a mattress set my next big purchase. In the background are Orangy and Sammy, my trusted puppies. They've been with me for years, as has that alarm clock which, oddly enough, is one of my favorite possessions.


This is the messiest, least used room in the house. Until yesterday, my second bedroom (heretofore referred to as "office") housed boxes of junk for me to sort through and, most importantly, my guitars (♥). The office still serves these purposes but is also now home to my desk and old desktop computer. I need to pull important files from its hard drives and dispose of it and that giant monitor ("computer screen" haha). Also seen: my new paper shredder, which eats CD's and credit cards, and my two printers. One of the printers (my dedicated b+w photo printer with specialty inks - four shades of black/grey, rather than color) isn't printing so well. I might just end up using all the ink trying to clean those print heads that haven't been used in more than a year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness what a beautiful selection of furnishings you have chosen. very nice. your apartment has a warm and comfortable feeling about it. enjoy, mom mom

JeannéJuliet said...

Ooo! Spiffy apartment! I am happy to see you are establishing yourself quite nicely! The furniture is very modern, sleek, yet masculine. The bay window definitely adds the sophistication to this place. I like! Thanks for sharing btw! Now I really have to visit!