Tuesday, May 26, 2009

barrel of dante's


Now that more than a week has passed, let me tell you what I did the Sunday before last. As planned, I saw Killola (and KRISTEENYOUNG) perform before Sinferno. KRISTEENYOUNG were pretty good. The highlight of their performance, of course, was Kristeen Young's costume. Click HERE to get an idea of the costumes she wears. Oh, and if you haven't figured it out, KRISTEENYOUNG is the name of the band. Kristeen Young is the name of the person.

Killola were...killer. [a bird shat on my bay window just now] Anyway, uh...oh, yeah. Killola. Besides Dante's audio system being a little off on this night, it was very enjoyable. It's interesting seeing a band like Killola play in Portland. I love 'em to death. They are heroes to me. I know their faces and music well. They are, to me, big time celebrities. As such, it's very strange to see just a few people standing in front of the stage during the performance. It's where perception meets reality and the two are very different. Yes, strange.

Killola at Dante's

I played a silly game as I sometimes do at Sinferno, and that is to see how long I can keep the chairs at my table vacant. I'll order a drink (water on this night) and make it seem that others are sitting with me. Eventually, though, someone asks to join me. Sometimes I get luckier than others. This time around, I was joined by a couple decent looking young women. And it is here that I realize how off my game I truly am. Single guys, listen up. As a matter of principle, if you're sharing a table with a couple strippers and one of them asks to buy you a drink...DO NOT SAY NO! What was I thinking? It's not like it was gonna be anything more than a drink and how lame do I look now?!

In any event, I left Dante's at 1a. That is, by far, the earliest I've ever left Sinferno. I forgive myself as I believe this was my first attempt with work the next morning. I need to re-build my tolerance for staying out late. I'll work on that this week as I'm going to a concert tomorrow, bowling the next, and concerts again the next two nights! And did I mention I've scheduled myself a massage for Friday afternoon? A friend recommended Odette to me. I'll let you know how it is.

This past holiday weekend has been kind to me. Besides working Saturday and "working" on Sunday (I saw no patients Sunday), I did a lot of poolside reading, video gaming, and shopping. I finished Farewell Waltz by Milan Kundera yesterday. Like all Kundera novels, I recommend it to you. This week, I'm going to start reading his play, Jacques And His Master. The video game I've been playing is Animal Crossing: City Folk. It's a cute game where you live in a town and walk around collecting things and completing tasks for others. Shopping? I've done all sorts. I bought kitchen stuff, including a colander, cutting board, bottle opener, measuring cups and spoons, and flatware (finally!). Not cheap flatware, either. Here's the conversation with the young woman at checkout:

Clerk: Do you need a gift receipt?
Me: No, thank you.
Clerk: Is this a registry item?
Me: No.
Clerk: ...Is this for you?!
Me: Yup.
Clerk: Nice!

I also bought a couch today. I ended up with neither a sofa bed, nor a colorful couch. I'll have to accent my living room with art and pillows as the couch I bought is Italian leather. They call it dark brown. I call it black...which is ironic as I hate when people call my hair black. IT'S DARK BROWN!!! haha And M&M's. I bought a big bag of M&M's yesterday...and they're gone today. I'm feeling fat right about now.

No comments: