Monday, November 10, 2008

rockin' it bionic


The girlfriend (wife?) of one of Sinferno's regular performers recently had surgery. Last nite was a special fundraiser/benefit Sinferno event for her. Gooferman opened up the nite. This is the fourth time I've seen them perform, but the first time as a 3-piece. Their bassist and drummer performed live via satellite. Well, not really. Their computer was on stage with them 'playing' bass and drums. Clowns are fun.

There were more fire acts billed than usual. It was a treat to see so many semi-regulars at the same show - Wake Angel, Germany, Naughty Nikita, Hannah + Shauna. Two flaming hula hoops on stage simultaneously was worth the price of admission alone, which was about $5 more than usual. Two acts by the Bellini Twins, including their Flaming Heterosexuals act which never gets old. A double dose of Blaze as she performed on stage during Gooferman's set along with her usual routine. I've seen her routine a gazillion times and last nite was the first time I've seen her not light her lighter on the first try. To her credit, tho, she had a bum lighter. And if you think lighting a lighter shouldn't be hard, just know that she does it with her feet!


Also notable last nite: someone spilled their drink on my jacket. I don't think he was drunk. I'm pretty sure he stumbled on the carpet edge. Also, no one talked to me in the restroom. Those conversations can be awkward, like last week:

[I approach the urinal. Another man on his cell phone is at the other urinal.]
Drunk Guy #1: Are you Asian?
Me: What...? Are you talking to me?
Drunk Guy #1: Yeah. Are you Asian?
Me: Quarter.
Drunk Guy #1: What?
Me: I'm a quarter Asian.
Drunk Guy #1: That's not bad. It's good to be Asian.
Me: I guess.
[Drunk Guy #1 remembers that he is still on the phone]
Drunk Guy #1: What? Oh, I was just talking to some guy in the bathroom. He's Asian. Well, a quarter Asian. That's not too bad, right?

For the most part, though, the crowd is pretty good. It's been a long while since I've seen security take anyone down. Usually it's for getting in someone's face, trying to take a picture, or getting too close to the girls. Security usually spots those creepers before it becomes a problem. They're pretty cool about things.

And speaking of last week, we were treated to two performances by The Porcelain Twinz (adult website - be thou warned). They got their start at Sinferno at the beginning of the decade and have made quite a name for themselves internationally. Now, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure they performed in excess of what Dante's license allows (haha). Check them out if that's your cup of tea. I was very impressed and can see how they've become well-known. And if you're doubly interested, The Porcelain Twinz are performing at Beaverton's Stars Cabaret (again, not for children) thru December.

It also occurs to me as I write this that I have turned down a lot of free booze at Sinferno this year. People, guys and girls, offer to buy me drinks all the time. I usually get there early enough to get a seat. Being there alone gives others the opportunity to sit with me. I think they feel like they're invading my space, that it's my table, or they don't want me to be left out when they order drinks. But it's all good. Maybe I should say yes sometime. I wonder what would happen.


I also went bowling a couple times last week. It felt good to do that again, but a little disappointing too. The last time I went a long time without bowling, it only took me two games to get a 200. This time it took six games and my scores seem to be something like 40 pins below what I consider average. I'm having trouble stringing together strikes as it took me four games to get my first turkey. I still strike consistently in the first frame. I didn't get a mark in the 9th frame until my 6th game. That was frustrating. My spare shooting is as sharp as ever. And I still look good in my bowling shoes.

Shaun and I started tearing up the hall bathroom yesterday. The molding is out. The wallpaper is down. The towel rack and other fixtures are down. The plan is to tear out the sink and cabinet and replace with a nice vanity. The walls are getting painted. The vinyl floor will be replaced with tile. Pretty much just the tub and toilet are staying. That tub does not have a showerhead. I'm not sure if we're going to do that now or not. We'd have to bust into a wall and do a little plumbing. Ellen's not too excited that we're tearing up the bathroom, but we needed an inside project (Hi, Ellen!). I still need to seal the fence, but it won't stop raining long enough.

No comments: