Tuesday, December 30, 2008

here and there and back again


I'm going to use this space to kind of piece together highlights of my past week. Though I get the feeling I'm doing this to keep people current with my life and not because anything significant has happened. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you've already closed the window and aren't even reading this run-on sentence that contains a whole lot of nothing and is, therefore, a hidden gem in itself.

The snow was so bad on Monday that work was canceled for both Christi and Me. Vince worked from home that day. Unlucky guy. We did take time out enough to make a snowman, though. Vince and I had a snowball fight. Naturally, I won. I'm still waiting to see if I get paid for that day. I went to work the next day, but almost should have stayed home. Roads the first part of the day were bad. I used tire chains for the first time ever that morning. Everyone canceled their appointments and I sat around most of the day reading magazines. The doctor who hired me was there doing payroll for a while and asked me to help the receptionist do some filing as long as I was there being paid. I got to type up address labels and put them on envelopes. I did end up seeing a single patient that afternoon.


After work, I took the chains off my car because I hate when people use chains on bare pavement (you DID read my previous blog, right?). It was a little slippery in town, but clear on the west side once you cross the Marion Street Bridge. Before returning to Vince's house, I tried to finish up my Christmas shopping at Lancaster Mall. The parking lot was a mess with ice. I got stuck entering the parking lot. I did not realize there was a speed bump as I entered the lot and did not have enough momentum to slide over it. The cars behind me had to back up so that I could get a run at it. A lot of people were doing that, though. After the mall, I only had one more gift to buy. I planned on getting it at Best Buy. I nearly wiped out as I approached the driveway. Distracted, I missed my turn and there was no way I was going to turn around in that mess. Disappointed that my shopping was not 100% finished, I crossed the Marion Street Bridge and returned to Vince's house on bare pavement.

Vince, Christi, and I went out for Mexican food then to Lenora's Ghost for a drink. Lenora's Ghost was anything but a Portland bar. The drink was good. The company was good. The bartender sucked.

The next morning was much busier. I worked out of two exam rooms and generally had two patients in progress at any given moment. However, I had no exams scheduled for the second half of the day. I guess no one wants to get an eye exam on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. I finished my shopping that morning before work, so all I had left to do after work was drive to Roseburg.

I got to Roseburg earlier than I originally planned because we closed the office early. That was nice since my Christmas visit to Roseburg was only going to be about 24 hours long. I pretty much just wrapped presents and went to bed. Christmas morning, Dad made a yummy breakfast. Then we went to Glide to open presents and have lunch/dinner with Michelle and her family. I finally got to play my Guitar Hero World Tour.

Christmas 2008

I returned to Derek's house Christmas evening. He knew he wouldn't be there when I arrived, so he gave me a key earlier in the week. I let myself in and unpacked. Hobbes hissed at me when I went into the office looking for scissors. I went back to the kitchen and used a knife instead. Derek, Bree, and Riley got home a bit later.

Friday was a very busy day at work. The schedule was packed and there were lots more people looking for walk-in appointments. We couldn't accommodate them that day, but were able to schedule several for the next day. The roads were packed with cars this day and the next, presumably because the roads were finally clear enough to drive on comfortably. The next day's schedule was just as full and a second doctor took some walk-in appointments too. However, it wasn't as busy for me because there were far fewer patients wanting contact lenses.

With work out of the way, I returned to Derek's house for a little chill time before going to help with the Another Cynthia concert at the Doug Fir. The show was packed to the max. It was Saturday and they were playing with Oh Captain, My Captain and popular local band Derby. All three bands had merchandise out, but I was the only person behind the counter. I collected $28 for Another Cynthia, $20 for Oh Captain, My Captain, and $95(!) for Derby! For my troubles, I took one of Derby's CDs to enjoy on my ride back to Roseburg, whenever that would be...


The next day, I met Jon in Portland. Jon gave me my birthday and Christmas gifts. I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace and a rad book. We walked around town and hung out at Stumptown. I thought I was going to pack up my car and drive back to Roseburg after that, but I got to Derek's house just in time to see them getting in the car to visit Shaun, Ellen, and new baby Ethan at the hospital. I hopped in their car without even making it to the house. It was neat holding the new baby. I think I held him the most and didn't want to let go. Mommy, daddy, and baby are all doing fine.

The next day I woke up, packed the car, and took off for the Burg. I stopped at the station and was quickly invited to join some family (including Shanda, A.J., and Dylan) for lunch...so back in the car I went. All of us adults went out that evening while a babysitter watched the children. And now I'm here finishing this awful blog that even I am bored with. Thank you. Come again.

3 comments:

teresa.frog.applause said...

Hi. Thanks for posting a link to my comic strip "Frog Applause" on your blog. Do you ever leave comments on GoComics? I'd love to hear from you.
--Teresa
http://www.gocomics.com/frogapplause

Derek said...

Boring, this is all I write about.

JeannéJuliet said...

Really cute. Sounds like you've been having a great time! Your nieces and nephews are darling! They're like my second cousins whom I never met! :)